Friday, May 06, 2005

Medical Update

I heard from the surgeon at IUPUI. The news was not what I wanted to hear, but at least the tumor is operable and can be removed.

Unfortunately, they will have to remove my bladder, my nerve bundles (which effect male erectile function), possibly some muscle in the pelvic area, and possibly a section of my colon.

Since the surgery would be so drastic, they want to do a biopsy on the chance that the tumor could be treatable with chemo. This is a slim chance so I'm not getting my hopes up, I'm preparing myself mentally for the reality of how my life will change from this surgery.

I was initially upset, but now I am resolved to fight like hell. I look back on the wonderful people I met at the conversation with Lance, the RFTR 2004 and find strength from their experiences with cancer.

I'll keep my blog updated, and send out e-mails as things develop.

Unfortunately, this probably means I won't be able to be an advocate for LIVESTRONG day. I still plan on waiting to the last minute in case it works out that I can attend. I was really excited about the opportunity, if there was a way I would be there. I'll just have to do it next year.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

andrew -- i really admire your strength and your courage --

I am a complete basket case -- and I going through nothing compared to what you are fighting --- I am simply dealing with a brother who is going battling cancer and I find it completely overwhelming -- I can not imagine what you are going through and yet you manage to keep on truckin

anyways -- just wanted to share my thoughts

love
Dan (your brother)

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew, your strength is amazing and inspiring. I know it can't be easy to keep a good attitude, but you do it anyway. Thanks for being a willing example of true courage.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew,

I know why Bill Cosby said his son was his hero. It is the strength you see in your progeny that makes life valuable and strong. My thoughts and prayers are with you, one of my most precious heroes.

Love,

Dad

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home