Monday, February 28, 2005

Test / Scan Anxiety

I've made lots of contacts in the survivor community and we talk via e-mail about the pressures with which we have to cope. One of the worst stressors is the regular CT Scans and tumor marker blood tests (TC has tumor markers or hormones that elevate when the tumors are active.). Once you have been in the Doctors office and heard the words "You have cancer" it becomes impossible to shake the fear that it'll come back. Especially in my case where it has come back once. Last year when I had my first surveillance scans the anxiety was so overwhelming that I had multiple panic attacks. We learn to deal with this anxiety in many ways. Whether it is with anti-depressants, counseling, support groups, or just communicating with other survivors that can appreciate what you are feeling.

This is where the internet is a godsend. There are many great resources.

www.acor.org
www.livestrong.org

And of course this blog allows me to journal and share my experiences.

-Andrew

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home