Thursday, June 09, 2005

LiveStrong Day Follow Up

I was able to meet with Senator Jim Inhofe, Representative John Sullivan, and a staff member to Senator Tom Coburn. I was thrilled to be part of the legislative process. This was a side of our government that I have never been exposed to before.

Why were we in DC?

There were three "asks" as they call them that we were requesting from the congressmen.

#1 - To support the Bush Administration's Goal of eliminating cancer death and suffering by 2015

#2 - To increase funding for the CDC's Comprehensive Cancer Control Program by $10 Million in FY 2006

#3 - To support $2 million for the CDC-LAF National Cancer Survivorship Resource Center in FY 2006

What were the results?

Senator Inhofe agreed to sign the 2015 letter and to review the information I provided him on the funding requests. He struck me as a very genuine man. The most touching part of my visit in D.C. was when he prayed with Amy and me for my victory over cancer.

Congressman Sullivan agreed to sign the 2015 letter and to review the information as well. He was sincerely interested in my story and I feel that he took my words to heart.

Senator Coburn's staffer, Derek, wasn't able to promise that the Senator would sign the letter, however I am confident that he will once they review the information I provided. I also learned that Senator Coburn is a two time cancer survivor. I look forward to meeting with him to discuss these issues when he is in Tulsa.

I plan to stay in communication with all three of them as my cancer advocacy continues. I hope to be their source for all cancer survivorship issues. The experience was wonderful, I feel stronger and ready to face my surgery next week.

Today I was interviewed by Chera Kimiko with FOX-23 news. We discussed my cancer story and the events of LiveStrong Day. The interview should air either Monday the 13th or the 20th on the 9:00pm news. Once they confirm the date, I'll let everyone know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home